Tuesday, June 03, 2008

soul meets body...

one of my favorite songs has a new meaning tonight...


joel and i have been attending this small group for the last month or so at church that is for young adults and newlyweds. the group has been reading a book called messy spirituality by michael yachoneli.

it has been a great book talking about the real rawness of faith and how everyone is different and faith shouldn't be a race or competition. it has real life stories of hot mess disaster people who have big faith.

anyways i have been learning a lot and am glad that joel and i decided to branch out and try something new. church hasn't been the same for a while and we needed something new to get us cognitive of our faith again.

anyways tonight we were talking about how life is so insane and our culture tells us to go go go all of the time and how 'speeding through life is dangerous for our relationships and our souls.'

and i think that is so true. we go non-stop at work to rush home and do things that need to be done and neglect what matters most our relationships and souls.

a lady in the group told a story that she had heard about these missionaries who were in a hurry to get to a town and were telling their guides to hurry up. eventually the guides got mad they stopped. they told the missionaries that they needed to slow down and let their souls catch up to their bodies.

which clicked in my head. i go go go. if im not going i feel like im not being productive. it has always been an issue for me. so when she said that it really made sense to me. i need to slow down and let my soul meet my body more often...

then it clicked with one of my all time favorite songs- soul meets body by death cab for cutie...who is one of my all time favorite bands. anyways the songs lyrics are:

"I want to live where soul meets body
And let the sun wrap its arms around me
And bathe my skin in water cool and cleansing
And feel, feel what its like to be new

Cause in my head there's a greyhound station
Where I send my thoughts to far off destinations
So they may have a chance of finding a place
where they're far more suited than here

I cannot guess what we'll discover
Between the dirt with our palms cut like shovels
But I know our filthy hand can wash one another's
And not one speck will remain"

ok so by now you might be lost.
just listen to the song and let your soul catch up.
i hope it helps you slow down and appreciate life.

like my favorite quote from ferris bueller said:
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

i also have one more thought to leave you with from the book when the author is talking about how unpredictable your faith can be:
"We uncover God's fingerprints in the dust of our busyness in a manner that's erratic, arbitrary, capricious, inconsistent, disjointed and irregular."

it goes on to say we cant predict the unpredictable.
and that is what faith is about right?
...having faith in the unpredictable.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Death Cab has always had a way of putting life into perspective.

James Kernan Ferrin said...

this is my favorite post so far. i guess i've never thought of that song in that way - and it def brings new meaning to it.