Tuesday, April 20, 2010

how blood donations saved my friends life...

My friend Jennifer, pictured above, with her boyfriend Brian.


I just wanted to share a powerful note I received from a friend last week.

She is a 26 year old EMT that lives here in Omaha. Two weeks ago she checked into the Med Center to have her gallbladder taken out and had complication after complication that eventually lead to her almost dying of a pulmonary embolism last week.

She sent me the massage below two days later:

Danelle,
Please pass on to your staff the appreciation of myself and family-especially to your volunteers. Blood transfusions saved my life 2 days ago and wanted you to know that all you do is never forgotten and will always be held with respect and a profound appreciation.

It’s so weird being on the receiving end Danelle. I have donated however, had no idea that small duty I performed could have potentially saved a human beings life. Without the units I received I wouldn't be here to thank anyone. I'm proud to know what a difference precious gifts of blood do for someone in desperate need. You’re a miracle worker, please remember that every time you promote Red Cross do so with pride. I can't say thank you enough! Prayers are so meaningful and appreciated, THANKS!

-Jennifer Barry


It is these stories that I hear time after time that make me extremely proud to not only work for the Red Cross but be a volunteer blood donor.

I hope that if you don’t currently give blood that you will consider it for those who need it so badly, like my friend Jennifer. I have had two friends saved thanks to blood transfusions in the short time that I have worked for the Red Cross. I might not be the official spokesperson for blood services anymore but you better believe that I will be promoting blood donations until the day I die.

No comments: