Wednesday, August 29, 2007

when i grow up...


i remember when i was in second grade i wrote a paper for school about how i wanted to be mariah carey when i grew up...

glad that didn't work out.

then i wanted to be a pediatrician...when i broke my arm in the 5th grade i wanted to be an orthopedic pediatrician...until high school and i took an anatomy class and realized it pretty much sucked.

then i was like...well humm...heck i dont know...

told people i would join the circus or something.

then three classmates and i won an $100,000 anti-tobacco grant and i started doing pr for the whole deal. taught myself how to write press releases, tv and radio spots, speeches, ect. i thought- this is it! i will be a pr gal.

i told people i wanted to do pr from then on out. most of my classmates said what the heck is that? i told them doing super sweet things. i always said i wanted to work for a record label or rolling stone...maybe be a rock photo-journalist on the side.

so i went to college, got an internship, a handful of other part-time jobs and thousands of dollars worth of loans to finish that pr degree...

sad thing is i did more 'professional pr' that year that in high school than i have been able to do in the rest of my pr life during and after college.

...every job i apply for wants you to have a good 7-10 years of experience.

fellow pr grads jimmy and katie had a slice of pizza today with me and discussed our disgust for our post college careers.

we did have decent jobs at ad agencies...that in the end kind of left us feeling jaded. but we did have it good for a while...working with friends, doing creative things...then for one reason or another we all ended up leaving or loosing our first big kid jobs.

from there we have gone various places from coffee shops to korea and the places in between.

we decided that based on career postings basically we can't have a good job until we are at least 30...based on the 10 years of experience job qualification rule...so what are we suppose to do in the mean time?

i guess try to get a halfway decent job and build up our years...

i could always go back to my side plan of being a rock photojournalist...
or a journalism teacher- but that would require me to go back to school...

or join the circus.

...i would like to have cotton candy on a more regular basis.

2 comments:

Katie said...

We should be carneys. I would be the bearded lady of course.

I am actually using what I learned in school quite a bit right now. I get my advertising fix at Metro and my PR fix at Glass Harmony.

But I was so jaded by that agency that I was almost completely turned off of the industry. I think companies, not agencies, are the way to go.

SAHM I am! said...

agencies are rough. companies have all the office politics and drama, with none of the late hours. i agree w/katie!

and i hate to tell ya, but throw an adorable baby or two in the mix and you'll really be throwing up your hands on what to choose to do w/your life & how to live it! and, of course, that often hits when you're 30!