Wednesday, February 10, 2010

yes- i love john hughes and now i have published proof.


i walked in to the bookstore frantically looking for the new release books...
i spin around scanning all of the sections...what section would it even be in?
pop culture? is there a pop culture section?

and there it is...
the faces on the cover of the book were unmistakable.
molly. john. matt. three of my favorites.

'yep there it is'- i wanted to scream!

as i stood in the bookstore i stumbled through the pages until i got to the back...perfect an index.
'omg- my name is actually in it- it really happened,' i think.
page 363- there it is under say anything and before sixteen candles (my two favorites).
schlegelmilch, danelle- 272,316-317

i flip as fast as my fingers have ever flipped to page 272.

in the chapter 'anything and everything' im quoted talking about the final scene of say anything and how every time i'm on an airplane and hear the 'ding' for the seat belt sign after take off- i smile and think of lloyd dobbler and diane court. i go on to say how i think its pretty amazing that after that many years that it still takes me right back to that moment. the coolest thing is that my quote is followed by a quote from mr. john cusack himself talking about the unknown possibilities of that scene.

i wanted to scream, 'hey everyone- im in this book- and im quoted in the same paragraph as one of my all time favorite actors!"

but...i didnt. i just flipped to my next quote on pages 315-316.

this quote is in the 'dont you forget about me' chapter and im talking about growing up in a small town as the new girl and relating to molly ringwald's characters. saying how i would go home at night with crushed self confidence and how the movies would help me realize that school is awkward and usually horrible at times for everyone. i talked about how i could related to the dysfunctionalism of her families in the movies. having divorced parents and living in a small town seemed like a death sentence growing up. (now i can appreciate all that my parents did for me back when i was a horrible hormonal teen drama queen...sorry mom and dad)

wow- i still can't believe it. i flip through a few more pages and then make a beeline to the check out. i get in my car and call joel. i had to tell someone how awesome it feels to be included in such a cool book.

my first thoughts-
1. oh my goodness- john cusack and molly ringwald might just read my name and who knows... call me up someday!

2. i hope my family isnt offended by me saying i could relate to molly ringwald's characters and her dysfunctional families. all families are dysfunctional and in middle school everything is the pits...but john hughes brought me out of my teenage small town melodrama to make me laugh and realize that things usually will work out for the best- even if you're the dorky girl.

sidebar: my family has never forgotten my birthday like claire's in sixteen candles...they are the opposite about remembering birthdays and making them a big deal.

3. i cant wait to finish this book. what i have read so far is amazing. its like a behind the scene's look back in time to what made john hughes tick and what made his movies so fabulous...the people.

as anthony michael hall said in sixteen candles (and susannah reminds us in the front of the book)
want to know what happened? buy the book.

you can also get a sneakpeak here and here and here on some of susannah's amazing media clips.

No comments: